Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Loin of Pork with Green Peppercorns

Original Post date 10/02/06 12:26 PM



DELISH.

Okay, I had just typed out probably one of my longest posts ever, and when I went to publish, Blogger messed up and the post is gone. This hasn't happened to me in a long time. I am very upset! LOL. I am soo not in the mood to re-type everything, so all I am going to do now is to give you this recipe and then tell you what I am cooking this week. Here goes:

1 pork loin, bone in, Frenched and tied (about 5 pounds, 10 bones)
2 tablespoons good olive oil
4 teaspoons Dijon mustard, divided
4 teaspoons whole-grain mustard, divided
1 teaspoon ground fennel seed
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup good white wine
3 cups Homemade Chicken Stock, or canned broth
1/4 cup green peppercorns in brine, drained

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Allow the pork to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Place the pork, fat side up, in a roasting pan just large enough to hold it comfortably. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, 2 teaspoons of each mustard, the fennel seed, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Rub the mixture on top of the pork and roast for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, until the internal temperature reaches 140 degrees F. Remove from the oven, transfer to a cutting board, and cover tightly with aluminum foil for 20 minutes.

For the sauce, remove all but 1/4 cup of fat from the roasting pan. If there isn't 1/4 cup, add enough butter to the pan to make 1/4 cup total. Over medium heat, whisk the flour into the fat in the pan and cook for 1 minute. Add the wine and scrape up all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the chicken stock, the remaining 2 teaspoons of each mustard, the green peppercorns, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, until the sauce is reduced and slightly thickened.

Remove the strings from the roast pork, slice between the bones, and serve warm with the hot sauce.

I didn't use a loin of pork roast, just a regular boneless pork roast that cost around $4.50 (and was suprisingly good). I also didn't use white wine, I just used another cup of canned chicken broth. I have made this recipe once before using white wine, and it was good, but I didn't really miss it. I made mashed potatoes the first night, and when we had the leftovers the next night (which were amazing, btw), I made roasted red potatoes, and it was much better with the roasted potatoes.

Okay, dinner this week is as follows:

*Sunday: Jule's Perfect Marinara sauce, Whole Wheat Linguine, Barefoot Contessa Garlic Bread
*Monday: Boneless pork loin chops sauteed in extra virgin olive oil, roasted red potatoes with rosemary, fresh green beans tossed with sauteed shallots.
*Tuesday: Leftovers or Takeout (I know, I am bad)
*Wednesday: Barefoot Contessa recipe for Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic, couscous
*Thursday: Leftover chicken from Wednesday
*Friday: Probably take out pizza.

Okay, back to work for now!(I copied and pasted this, in case it doesn't post..lol).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home