Sunday, November 26, 2006

The day after

My Thanksgiving meal was cooked yesterday. I ate at my parents on Thursday, and it was pretty good, but I had really been looking to my meal, prepared entirely by me. I put the turkey in the brine on Friday night and forgot to flip it over on Saturday. I didn't have a bucket, so I bought these huge Ziplock XL bags, and you are supposed to flip the turkey halfway through brining. I forgot, but the turkey still turned out amazingly moist. I didn't take any pictures, because I was too tired to care by the time the food was ready.

As far as desserts, the apple crisp was good, except I didn't like how mushy the apples were. I thought when I read the recipe that 45 minutes seemed like a long time to bake it, and I was right. I like my apples to still retain their shape, but these were all mush. The flavor was good, just not the texture of the apples. Next time I will only bake it for 30 minutes, tops.

I think I might go back to making just a turkey breast next year. I usually only eat the white meat, and a turkey breast takes less time to cook. But, you can't really stuff it with aromatics like you can a full turkey. I put a quartered apple, onion, a whole head a garlic cut of half, rosemary and thyme inside the turkey. It was absolutely delicious.

Okay, I have a million things to do today, so I better get going.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home