Wednesday, February 28, 2007

I Loooooove Fennel

First, I did take pictures of the delish meal I made the Saturday after Valentine's Day, but they turned out all blurry and weird once I put them on the computer. So, I will just share that the food was awesome! The Barefoot Contessa Potato-Fennel Gratin was so amazing. It had a little too much cream, I thought, that made it a little runny, but the flavor was fantastic. I have never tried fennel before, but I am completely in love with it. I also cooked the steaks in the sear in a skillet and finish in the oven way, and it was amazing, too. The dessert, Couer a la Creme, was so-so. I think it might have been because I forgot to buy vanilla bean, so I just used a little extra vanilla extract. It was just a little bland to me. I will probably try to make it again, though. Oh, and I also forgot to buy raspberry jam to make the rasperry sauce, so I just used the strawberry jam I had on hand, and it basically tasted like strawberries. Still good, though!

My new love for fennel was cemented last night when I made the Barefoot Contessa (yes, I know I am obsessed) Loin of Pork with Fennel. Again, it was amazing. The pork was so juicy and flavorful. The cooking time in the recipe was exactly right. The only critisism was that the pork was a little salty. Next time I will just scale that back, and it will be perfect. The roast was so big that I will have leftovers tonight and possibly tomorrow. But, that's fine with me! Geoff was sicky with a cold, and he couldn't really taste the food, unfortunately. The only thing he could really comment on was how juicy the pork was. Hehe. Just a note, for anyone thinking of making this recipe. After a quick test w/the food processor, it seems that two slices of bread with the crusts removed makes about a cup of fresh bread crumbs. So, in total, plan on using 6 slices of bread for the stuffing. Another note, I didn't use white wine since we never drink, and there was only 1 tablespoon used in the recipe. I just used a tablespoon of chicken broth to deglaze the pan.

OMG, I can't wait to eat that again tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home